Bio 100 Lecture Final Study Guide
(All answers are true or false)
1. The level of scientific thought that we have the most certainty in is the hypothesis.
2. Controlled science experiments have no validity in biology research.
3. All living things obtain energy from their environment.
4. The four organic macromolecule groups common to all living things are carbohydrates,
proteins, nucleic acids, and fats.
5. All living things are composed of one or more cells.
6. Humans are unicellular creatures.
7. Mitosis is cell Xeroxing that occurs in prokaryotic cells.
8. Homeostasis is the process of maintaining a dynamic equilibrium of factors within which
living things can exist.
9. Of the cellular metabolic processes, Glycolysis is the only one that occurs in all living
10. Plant and animal cells share many common features, including a cell wall.
11. The four bases in the DNA molecule are Adenine, Thymine, Cytosine, and Uracil.
12. The most accurate classification scheme is one that most closely mirrors the
evolutionary history of the group being studied.
13. The sequence of organization from least to most inclusive is: atom, molecule, organelle,
cell, tissue, organ, and organ system.
14. DNA is transcribed from RNA in the process of reverse transcription.
15. Evolution is the change in living things over time.
16. Living things tend to produce more offspring than can survive.
17. Energy flows through ecosystems.
18. Biology is the study of life.
19. ATP is the energy currency in cells.
20. The amount of thymine is equal to the amount of adenine in DNA for all organisms.
21. A pedigree is a chart of a family’s history with regard to a particular genetic trait.
22. Photosynthesis converts solar energy into the chemical energy of a carbohydrate.
23. Fertilization restores the diploid number of chromosomes in a cell that will develop into
a new individual.
24. Meiosis increases the chromosome number in such a way that the daughter nuclei
receive only one of each kind of chromosome.
25. The diffusion of oxygen across a differentially permeable membrane due to
concentration differences is called osmosis.
26. Fungi are photosynthetic despite their lack of chlorophyll.
27. Mendel carried out most of his research with Guinea pigs.
28. Archaea is a different group of organisms from bacteria because it has a nucleus.
29. All single-cell eukaryotes belong to the kingdom Protista.
30. During the process of transcription, the information in DNA is converted into RNA
31. For Mendel’s Law of Independent Assortment to occur, the alleles must be at a different
location on the same chromosome.
32. Huntington’s disease is an autosomal dominant disorder.
33. Mitosis has three stages.
34. Only women can have Turner’s syndrome.
35. Transmission microscopes are the most commonly used microscopes.
36. Prokaryotes lack a membrane-bounded nucleus and the chromosome is in a nucleoid
that lacks an envelope.
37. The nuclear membrane reappears in mitosis during metaphase.
38. An individual with the genotype tt will have the dominant phenotype.
39. Photosynthesis mainly occurs in the leafy part of the cactus.
40. NADPH and ATP are produced in the cyclic electron pathway.
41. The First Law of Thermodynamics states that energy can be neither created nor
42. Covalent double bonds occur when one electron is shared between two atoms.
43. Corn is a plant.
44. Carbon dioxide and water are the end products for aerobic cellular respiration.
45. Crossing-over occurs during Prophase II.
46. In humans, there are 24 pairs of chromosomes.
47. Alcoholic fermentation yields alcohol and carbon dioxide.
48. Actively metabolizing cell must continually produce ATP.
49. Homologous structures contain identical genes.
50. Ciliates can move by pseduopods.
51. Lichens cannot reproduce
Please join StudyMode to read the full document