1. Three of the more difficult elements of interpersonal communicating are:
a. Deception, aggression, dialogue
b. Deception, aggression, betrayal
c. Deception, betrayal, debate
d. Deception, betrayal, paradoxes
2. If people considered the potential ramifications of deception, they would often find that in the long run, it would be less trouble to tell the truth.
3. Deception, when undetected, may become a burden for the deceiver.
4. In interpersonal relationships, most people operate from a _________ until they discover that someone lied to them.
a. Lie Bias
b. Collaborative bias
c. Relationship bias
d. Truth bias
5. Wilmot contends that there may be occasions when deception is necessary and even beneficial to the relationship.
6. Deception, betrayal, aggression and violence are all influenced by __________
a. Power dynamics
b. Expressions of desire
c. Information disclosure
7. Vangelisti identified 10 types of hurtful messages people experiences in relationships with partners, friends, and family members. Which of the following is not a form of hurtful message?
b. Interrogative questions
8. The cognitive "effort" that individuals expend to make sense of hurtful messages should not depend, in part, on the individuals' relationship with the person who uttered the message.
9. In the research conducted by Vangelisti ____________ messages were typically seen as highly hurtful because there are few arguments available for the recipient.
10. Gibb defines ____________ as that which occurs when an individual perceives threat or anticipates threat in the group.
a. Defensive behavior
b. Aggressive behavior
c. Supportive behavior
d. Provisional behavior
11. Which of the following according to Folger, Pole, and Stutman is not a benefit of conflict?
a. release built-up tension
b. can produce new and creative ideas
c. stimulate social change to eliminate inequities
d. creates built-up tension
12. __________ is the interaction of interdependent people who perceive incompatible goals and interference from each other in achieving those goals.
c. Gender talking
d. A communication spiral
13. ______ conflicts are expressions of aggression in which the sole end is to defeat or hurt the other.
14. Comments made during a conflict are usually made with no awareness or prediction about the likely response they will elicit.
15. _______ occur when the actions of each person in a relationship magnify those of the other and may be generative of degenerative.
c. communication spirals
16. Which of the following is not a part of the dyadic phase of the breakdown of a relationship according to Duck?
a. Confront partner
b. Take a non-negatiable stand in relationship talks
c. Face confrontration/avoidance dilemma
d. Assess joint costs of withdrawal
17. The statement "I hear you, and I have a different perspective" is helpful in conflict because it does not imply that conflict is a win/lose situation.
18. There are easy to follow youtube videos on how to format a paper in APA.
19. Which of the following is a...