Elements of Realism Essay
Topic: Identify how one of the selections from Collection 4 fits the characteristics of realism. (A Mystery of Heroism, The Story of an Hour, or A Pair of Silk Stockings)
Length: 5 paragraphs
• Identify the selection you have chosen
• Identify realism as a style of writing during the Civil War period • Summarize the characteristics of realism (4)
• Thesis: last sentence that announces the topic of your essay; example: Harriet Jacobs told her story using the characteristics of realism.
• In each paragraph, begin by identifying the characteristics you are including in the paragraphs. • Include examples from the story that show the characteristics of realism.
• Thesis: rephrase your original thesis; example: Using the characteristics of realism, Harriet Jacobs shared her story. • Summarize the main points made in your essay.
• Final sentence: example: Harriet Jacobs told her story in a realistic way.
Paper should be typed in size 12 font
The thesis goes in the last sentence of the first paragraph and the first sentence of the last paragraph Remember to stay on topic; only talk about the story you have chosen Be sure to include an example for each topic covered
Be sure to use at least 4 characteristics
Sample Body Paragraphs:
Two characteristics of realism deal with the rejection of the larger than life character, and an emphasis on characters from a lower class. In “from Life of a Slave Girl” the main character fit both of these characteristics. Harriet Jacobs character, Linda, was simply a mother who relied on God for help. On page 473 she asks God for help, “I prayed to God…” Also, Linda was a house servant for the Flints; she was not free, as indicated in the title of the selection, “Incidents in the life of a Slave Girl.” Both examples show how realism is present in the...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document