Introductions ECTE333 Microcontroller Architecture & Apps Dr Montse Ros
• Welcome to ECTE333! • Your lecturers this year are: – Dr. Montse Ros (Autumn) – Dr. Lam Phung (Spring) g ( p g)
• Make sure you receive your handout:
– Student Planner – Reference Book List (on the back)
What will I learn?
• General Computer Organisation • Assorted Microcontroller architecture and interfacing topics • Hardware and Software for the Atmel AVR microcontroller i t ll • Practical Skills in the programming and interfacing of an Atmel AVR microcontroller using AVR of an Atmel AVR microcontroller using AVR development boards.
What should I already know?
• ECTE233 material
– x‐radix number systems – Digital Logic Digital Logic • Combinational logic • Sequential logic
• Revision References
– Sections 3.1‐3.3 of [TAN06] – Appendi A of [HEU04] Appendix A of [HEU04] – Appendices A & B of [STA09]
How much time should I h h ld devote to ECTE333?
• This subject is 3 credit points per session • This means 6 hrs/wk or 12 hours/fortnight • Every fortnight will consist of these contact hours: • In addition students are expected to conduct the following in In addition, students are expected to conduct the following in their own study time – 2 hours revising the lecture material – 2 hours attempting the tutorial questions (before the tutorial) – 4 hours for: 4 hours • performing preparation for the lab (before the lab) • answering pre‐lab quizzes
How will I be assessed?
Autumn Class Tests Lab Prep/Progress L b P /P Practical Exams Exams 5% 5% 15% 25% (50%) 5% 20% 25% (50 %) Spring 5% 10% 35% 50% 100%
– 2L: 2‐hour Lecture (odd weeks) ( ) – 1T: 1‐hour Tutorial (even weeks) – 1P: 1‐hour Demo Laboratory (even weeks)
Consult your Subject Outline and Student Planner for more details
Lectures and Tutorials
• One 2‐hour Lecture ODD weeks
– You should spend an additional 2 hours every fortnight revising and for general study revising and for general study
Good Friday arrangements
• The Friday in Week 4 is a public holiday • Lectures and Laboratories are NOT affected Lectures and Laboratories are NOT affected • Tutorials will be shifted to Thursday afternoon – Ti Time and Room to be confirmed from timetabling dR b fi df i bli – Likely to be straight after ECTE3444 lecture
• One 1‐hour Tutorial EVEN weeks
– You should use the SOLS enrolment system to sign on to the y g first hour or the second hour in even weeks. The tutorials will be in the same room as the lectures. – You should spend an additional 2 hours every fortnight p y g attempting the tutorial before attending class to maximise your time at the tutorial.
• Across the whole year, a total of 45% of your mark comes from Practical‐related assessment – Fortnightly lab‐prep and lab‐demo marks – Practical Tests in Exam‐Weeks of both sessions • See Official Exam Schedules for details of times See Official Exam Schedules for details of times • To be held in the same room as normal labs
• Logbooks to be kept on all laboratory experiments to show progress. – What should my logbook look like? (see WebCT & lab What should my logbook look like? (see WebCT & lab notes). – Demonstration marked as well as logbook observations. – Your logbook is your proof of progress Your logbook is your proof of progress • Note down everything!! • Also get it signed by your marker when you demonstrate • It is the ONLY document you can bring with you into the final practical exam, so use it wisely i l i i l • It MUST be a bound notebook with no loose leaf papers
• A Lab kit will be necessary for ECTE333
– You must return the lab kit at the end of the year for your results to be published
Fortnightly Laboratories (cont)
• Each laboratory consists of:
– 3‐4 hours home experiment p – 1 hour lab demonstration
Please join StudyMode to read the full document