1. Health risks
Immediate Effects of Marijuana1
• loss of restlessness
• hallucinations, paranoia, psychotic episodes
• impaired coordination
• impaired motor ability
• mood swings
• increased appetite
• impaired ability.
Long Term Effects of Marijuana:1
• lung cancer
• chronic bronchitis
• energy loss
• slow confused thinking
• and blood vessel blockage.
• Use by adolescents can disrupt emotional development, delay puberty, and can delay the monthly cycle in females. • Marijuana may produce a mild physical dependence that causes minor withdrawal symptoms when discontinued, including nausea, insomnia, irritability, and anxiety.
Physical effects of marijuana
• weight loss or gain
• impaired sex drive
2. Gate way drug- Marijuana can be a gateway drug, which means it can lead to the use of many other harmful drugs--Children ages 12-17 are 85 times more likely to use cocaine Marijuana has also been linked with teen violence, suicide, crime, and unsafe sex-HIV transmission. 3. Directly related to violence- More crime in Minnesota when they legalized it.
Marijuana V. Tabacco
• A marijuana cigarette(joint) contains 50%-100% more tar than that of tobacco. • Smoking one joint is equal to smoking 7-10 cigarettes.
4. Legalization may increase amount of stoned drivers on the road.
5. 2nd hand smoking would be more of an issue
6. Domino effect- legalizing marijuana would lead to people wanting to legalize other drugs 7. Some people may consider it morally wrong
8. Causes weight gain from the munchies
9. Argument about it helping the economy can be counter argued by the fact that drug dealers will just under cut the retail price of weed.