CIS 110 MID-TERM STUDY GUIDE
1. What is the ability of the world's populace to volunteer and collaborate on large projects called? -CREATIVE SURPLUS
2. Joining as a group to use a specific product more efficiently is called? -COLLABORATIVE CONSUMPTION
3. What field of study is helping robots evolve toward a more human appearance? -HUMAN ROBOT INTERACTION?
4. Describe the function of the following: patient simulators, VeriChips, biomedical chip implants, RFID tags -PATIENT SIMULATOR- IMITATES PATIENT CONDITIONS AND HOSPITAL STAFF GETS AN OPPORTUNITY TO PRACTICE MEDICAL INTERVENTIONS. -VERICHIPS- MICROPROCESSOR USED FOR VERIFICATION AND IDENTIFICATION PURPOSES. -BIOMEDICAL CHIP IMPLANTS- CHIP WITH A NUMBER LINKED TO MEDICAL RECORDS. -RFID TAGS- USES RADIO FREQUENCY ELECTROMAGNETIC FIELDS TO TRANSFER DATA FOR PURPOSES OF AUTOMATIC IDENTIFICATION AND TRACKING.
5. Define the following terms: eight bytes, eight kilobytes, eight bits, eight characters, gigabyte, terabyte, kilobyte, megabyte
BYTE: A UNIT OF DIGITAL INFO. IN COMPUTING AND TELECOMMUNICATIONS. BASIC ADDRESSABLE ELEMENT IN MANY COMPUTER ARCHITECTURES. -BITS- BINARY DIGIT, THE SMALLEST INCREMENT OF DATA ON A COMPUTER. -CHARACTERS- ANY LETTER OR NUMBER, SPACE, PUNCTUATION, OR SYMBOL THAT CAN BY TYPED ON A COMPUTER. EACH CHARACTER REPRESENTS ONE BYTE OF SPACE.
1 kilobyte (KB) 1,024 bytes
1 megabyte (MB) 1,048,576 bytes
1 gigabyte (GB) 1,073,741,824 bytes
1 terabyte (TB) 1,099,511,627,776 bytes
1 petabyte (PB) 1,125,899,906,842,624 bytes
6. Describe the function of the following: Ports, Drive bays, Expansion cards, USB devices -FLASH DRIVES PLUG INTO A USB PORT- CONNECTS INPUT AND OUTPUT DEVICES. -EXPANSION CARDS PLUG INTO SLOTS ON THE MOTHERBOARD AND PROVIDE ADDITIONAL FINCTIONALITY FOR YOUR COMPUTER. -DRIVE BAYS ARE USED FOR MONITORING HARD DISKS, FLOPPY DISCS, TAPES, CDROMS, AND OTHER DRIVES. -PORTS ARE COMPUTER HARDWARE THAT SERVES AS AN INTERFACE BETWEEN THE COMPUTER AND OTHER COMPUTERS OR PERIPHERAL DEVICES. PHYSICALLY, A PORT IS A SPECIALIZED OUTLET ON A PIECE OF EQUIPMENT TO WHICH A PLUG OR CABLE CONNECTS.
7. Classify printers by the printing mechanism: non-impact, thermal, dot-matrix (ex: which one is a laser) -INKJET AND LASER PRINTERS ARE NON IMPACT WHICH FORMS CHARACTERS WITHOUT STRIKING THE PAPER. -DOT MATRIX PRINTERS ARE IMPACT PRINTERS THAT FORM CHARACTERS BY STRIKING A MECHANISM AGAINST AN INK RIBBON THAT PHYSICALLY CONTACTS PAPER. -THERMAL PRINTING IS A DIGITAL PROCESS THAT HEATS THERMAL PAPER, TURNING BLACK IN AREAS IT IS HEATED.
8. Describe the following: podcast, webcast, weblog, listserv (purpose, how transmitted etc) -Podcast- A multimedia digital file made available on the Internet for downloading to a portable media player, computer, etc. -Webcast- A live video broadcast of an event transmitted across the Internet -Weblog- a personal Web site that provides updated headlines and news articles of other sites that are of interest to the user, also may include journal entries, commentaries and recommendations compiled by the user. -listserv- An electronic mailing list of people who wish to receive specified information from the Internet.
9. What is the term used for software that is designed for a specific industry? -VERTICAL MARKET SOFTWARE
10. What is the function of the following types of software: word processing software, presentation software, system software, spreadsheet software -word processing- A word processor enables you to create a document, store it electronically on a disk, display it on a screen, modify it by entering commands and characters from the keyboard, and print it on a printer. - presentation software- a computer software package used to display information, normally in the form of a slide show -system software- is computer software or an operating system designed to operate and control the computer hardware and to...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document