B-TEC Health and Social Care
Level 3 Year One.
Unit 1 – Developing Effective Communication in Health and Social Care Unit Booklet 2011-2012
You must keep this booklet safe. It is a requirement that, at the end of the unit, you will submit this booklet as evidence of your learning.
A second copy of this booklet will not be given so if you lose it you must reprint it at your own expense and complete every section again.
Page 3 – Section 1 Breakdown of the Unit
Page 6 – Section 2 Assignment Briefs, Rules and Deadline Dates
Page 7 - Section 3 Grade Tracking Sheet
Page 8 – Section 4 Unit Tutor Information
Page 9 – Section 5 Lesson Materials
• Introduction to the unit handouts and activities
• Theories of Communication and Reflective Listening
• Factors to influence Communication and strategies to overcome them.
• Factors and Barriers to communication and strategies to overcome them. Part 1
• Factors and Barriers to communication and strategies to overcome them. Part 2
• Putting learning into practice: one 2 one scenarios.
• Putting learning into practice: group scenarios.
Page 56 – Section 6 Feedback sheets.
Page 58 – Section 7 Declaration that this is your own work (needs signing before final submission.
Section 1 - Breakdown of the Unit
Aim and purpose
This unit aims to understand effective communication and the barriers that exist which stop communication and how to overcome these.
By completing this unit you should be able to demonstrate the following:
1. Understand effective communication and interpersonal interaction in health and social care.
2. Understand factors that influence communication and interpersonal interaction in health and social care environments.
3. Understand ways to overcome barriers in a health and social care environment.
4. Be able to communicate and interact effectively in a health and social care environment.
The start of this unit will concentrate on helping you recognise what effective communication is and why it is important for professionals to use it. As the unit progresses we will be looking at some theories behind communication, barriers and what strategies can be used to overcome them.
At the end you will be asked to take part in a group interaction and a one to one interaction to assess your communication skills. Your results will be presented to the tutor as part of the final assessment.
Please note the following:
• In order to gain an overall pass you must complete all the pass criteria
• In order to gain an overall merit you must complete all the pass criteria AND the merit criteria.
• In order to gain an overall distinction you must complete all the pass criteria AND the merit criteria AND the distinction criteria.
All of the assessment criteria have been divided into two separate assignments.
All of the pass criteria will be in assignment 1 and to gain this you must complete a series of worksheets which show your knowledge and understanding of that specific topic. These will be completed in class, and with a tutor present to provide feedback. Each worksheet needs typing up, printing and stapling to the correct section of this booklet.
The merit and distinction criteria have been placed into assignment 2. To meet these criteria you must demonstrate your knowledge of key topics via a presentation to the tutor. You will be given certain questions to answer in this presentation and all of them must be covered. This must include power point slides and handouts, a copy of which the tutor will collect in as evidence.
What you will be taught?
1 Understand effective communication and interpersonal...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document