Chapter 28 Study Guide- Crisis of Imperial Order 1900-1929
Directions: Using complete sentences, answer the following questions. Use the question as the stem of your response. Page numbers provided.
1. Who fired the shots that ignited WWI? p.736
2. Give at least one example of Europeans meddling in Ottoman affairs. p.736-7 3. In what 3 empires/regions was nationalism a dividing force? p.738 4. List the members of both of the major alliances that led to WWI. p.738 5. Western powers worked out elaborate military mobilization plans based on what? p.738 6. What was the most potent weapon on the Western Front? p.740 7. From 1914-1918, the war at sea pitted what two naval powers against one another? p.741 8. What did women do during WWI? p.741
9. How many Africans fought in the War? p.743
10. What country benefited most from WWI? p.743
11. What did African Americans do during WWI? p.743
12. With which nation did the Ottomans sign a secret alliance and why? p.743 13. What did the Ottoman Turks do to their Armenian subjects? p.743 14. How did the British try to defeat the Ottomans? p.744
15. What did the Zionist movement aim to do and who was its leader? p.744 16. Although the Russians had the largest army in the war, what was their problem? p.744 17. Why was Tsar Nicholas II forced to abdicate? p.744
18. What was the death toll in WWI? p.746
19. What killed 20 million people worldwide in 1918-1919? p.746 20. Who would pay for the industrialization of Russia? How? p.748 21. After suspending reparations payments, what did the German government do to retaliate against the French? p.749 22. Zaibatsu benefited most from Japan’s prosperity. What were they? p.751 23. What was the result of the Boxer Rebellion of 1900? p.751 24. What did Mustapha Kemal (Ataturk) do for Turkey in 1923? p.753 25. Describe the “phony” independence of Egypt. p.757
26. Why were the new social sciences...