OPHTHALMIC SURGEON IN HONGKONG (1891-92)
* November 1891 to June 1892- after the publication of El Filibusterismo, Rizal left Europe and lived in Hongkong. * His reason for living Europe are:
* Life was unbearable in Europe due to his political differences with M.H. del Pilar and other Filipino in Spain. * To lead the propaganda movement in Hongkong
* To be near to his beloved Philippines and family
* Farewell to Europe
* On Oct. 31, 1891 (2 weeks after Fili‟s publication), he left Ghent for Paris, bade farewell to his friends, he proceeded by train to Marseilles and boarded steamer Melbourne for Hongkong (HK). * On Oct 18, bringing recommendation letter by Juan Luna for Manuel Camus with 600 copies of Fili * Rizal befriended many passengers who were mostly missionaries for China including Fr. Fuchs whom he described as “A Father Damaso without pride and malice”
* Rizal and the German Ladies
* One evening at dinner time, Rizal being the only Asian, was eating alone at one table. * Near him is a bigger table occupied by some German ladies who were gaily eating and gossiping about him. * He conversed with them in perfect German and they treated him with respect and admiration despite his brown skin.
* Arrived in Hongkong
* On Nov 20, 1891, he arrived in hongkong. Rizal welcomed by Jose Ma. Basa and other friends. * He opened his medical clinic
* December 1, 1891
* Rizal wrote to his parents asking permission to return home. * Manuel T. Hidalgo, his brother-in-law sent him a letter , relating a sad news of the “deportation of twenty-five (25) persons from Calamba.
* Family Reunion in Hongkong
* Before the Christmas of 1891 his parents, sisters, brothers and brothers-in-law arrived. * Their Christmas in hongkong is the happiest yuletide celebration in his life, for he had a happy family reunion * January 31, 1892
* He wrote to...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document