1. Has father Daniel Mary established a future direction for the Carmelite Monks of Wyoming? What is his vision for the monastery? Mystic Monk Coffee? What is the mission of the monks?
2. Does it appear the Father Daniel Mary has set definite objective and performance targets for achieving that vision?
3. What is father prior's strategy for achieving his vision? What competitive advantage might Mystic Monk Coffee's strategy produce?
4. Is Mystic Monk Coffee's strategy a money-maker? What is their business model? What is the assessment of the customer value proposition?
5. Does the strategy qualify as a winning strategy, why or why not?
6. What recommendations would you make to Father Daniel Mary in terms of crafting and executing the strategy for the monastery's coffee operations?
1. What are the chief elements of the strategy that whole foods market is pursuing?
2. Is whole foods strategy well matched to market conditions in the food retailing industry?
3. Do you think John Mackey has a good strategic vision for whole foods, why or why not?
4. What do you like or dislike about the company's mission or vision "whole foods, whole people, whole planet?"
5. Do whole foods market core values really matter, are they real or cosmetic?
6. How well are they performing from a strategic perspective?
7. Does whole foods enjoy a competitive advantage over its three chief rivals; Wild Oats, Fresh Market, and Trader Joe's?
8. What recommendations would you have for John Mackey regarding the actions that whole foods management needs to take in order to sustain the company's growth and financial performance?