1. Harriet Beecher Stowe - was an American abolitionist and author. Her novel Uncle Tom's Cabin was a depiction of life for African-Americans under slavery; it reached millions as a novel and play
2. Uncle Tom’s Cabin - anti-slavery book which alarmed previously unconcerned Northerners and the rest of the world about slavery.
3. Hinton helper - book entitled 'Impending Crisis of the South' that stirred trouble. Attempted to prove that indirectly the non-slaveholding whites were the ones who suffered the most from slavery; the book was banned in the South but countless copies were distributed as campaign material for republicans
4. New england emigrant aid company - 1854 was created to pay anti-slavery settlers to go into Kansas, so when the state voted on whether or not to allow slavery the vote would be on the anti-slavery side.
5. Henry ward beecher - United States clergyman who was a leader for the abolition of slavery
6. John brown - was a militant abolitionist that took radical extremes to make his views clear. In May of 1856, Brown led a group of his followers to Pottawatomie Creek and launched a bloody attack against pro-slavery men killing five people. This began violent retaliation against Brown and his followers. This violent attack against slavery helped give Kansas its nickname, "bleeding Kansas".
7. Pottawatomie creek - the sacking of Lawrence by pro-slavery forces,
8. Lecompton Constitution - Pro-slave constitution that got voted in for Kansas after anti-slavery people boycotted the election
9. Buchanan veto - he vetoed the Homestead Act because he felt that the homestead movement would destroy land values and stimulate westward migration.
10. Douglas reservations - He felt that Buchanan was wrong and unfair
11. Sen. Charles Summer – Most disliked. Delivered the speech “crime against Kansas”.
12. Sen. Preston Brooks – he went up to Sumner and pounded on the orator with a cane and... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 12). Ap Us History Chapter Nineteen Vocabulary Terms. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 12, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/course-notes/Ap-Us-History-Chapter-Nineteen-Vocabulary-1306227.html
"Ap Us History Chapter Nineteen Vocabulary Terms" StudyMode.com. 12 2012. 2012. 12 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/course-notes/Ap-Us-History-Chapter-Nineteen-Vocabulary-1306227.html>.
- MLA 7
"Ap Us History Chapter Nineteen Vocabulary Terms." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 12 2012. Web. 12 2012. <http://www.studymode.com/course-notes/Ap-Us-History-Chapter-Nineteen-Vocabulary-1306227.html>.
"Ap Us History Chapter Nineteen Vocabulary Terms." StudyMode.com. 12, 2012. Accessed 12, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/course-notes/Ap-Us-History-Chapter-Nineteen-Vocabulary-1306227.html.