Chapter 14: Resource Issues
Key Issue #1
. Read Chapter 14, Key Issue #1 (pages 438-451) and fill in the answers to the following questions. Use a dark colored text other than black to type your answers. Save and share with jmbrylski.
1. Define resource:
2. What are the two major misuses of resources?
3. North America uses _____% of the world’s energy, but is only _____% of the world’s population.
3. Eighty three percent of the world’s energy comes from three sources. List them in the first column of the chart and complete the remaining boxes. Energy Source
4. List other alternative energy sources currently in use.
5. What country imports upwards of 90% of its oil consumption?
6. What does the acronym OPEC stand for?
7. Create a timeline of the recent history of the oil industry and influences of OPEC. Date
8. Using the maps on pages 444-445, answer the following questions.
a. What countries led the world in coal production in 2008? Why do they have such
large amounts of coal reserves?
b. What countries led the world in crude petroleum production in 2008?
c. What countries led the world in natural gas production in 2008?
9. Mineral resources are classified as either non-metallic, metallic ferrous, or metallic non-ferrous. Fill in the chart below:
10. List the world’s top three metals consumed in order.
11. Using the chart above and your text, what four countries lead the world in mining?
Please join StudyMode to read the full document