Chapter 1: Information Systems in Global Business Today [MIS -L10/e]
1. When nearly all core business processes are digitally enabled, Correct Answer: the firm is more competitive and efficient. 2. Which business objective refers to the achievement of higher levels of efficiency and productivity? Correct Answer: Operational excellence
3. Which business objective refers to increasing a company's revenues while decreasing its costs? Correct Answer: Customer and supplier intimacy
4. Which of the following consists of all the hardware and software that a firm needs to achieve its business objectives? Correct Answer: Information technology
5. Data shaped into meaningful form are called
Correct Answer: information.
6. Raw facts that have not been organized into a useful form are called Correct Answer: data.
7. Which activity of an information system converts raw input into a meaningful form? Correct Answer: Processing
8. Which activity of an information system helps an organization evaluate or correct the input stage? Correct Answer: Feedback
9. Computer literacy focuses primarily on:
Correct Answer: a knowledge of information technology.
10. The responsibility for monitoring the daily activities of a business falls to this organizational level: Correct Answer: Middle management.
11. The world's largest and most widely used network is the
Correct Answer: Internet.
12. The linkage of two or more computers together to share data or resources is called a(n): Correct Answer: network.
13. Which of the following could not be classified a complementary organizational asset required to optimize returns from information technology investments? Correct Answer: The Internet and telecommunications infrastructure. 14. The technical approach to information systems includes:
Correct Answer: computer science, management science, and operations research. 15. Which of the following would not be classified as a technical approach to the study of information systems? Correct Answer: Economics
True or False
1. Changes in the business environment such as new accounting laws are spurring the growth of digital information. Correct Answer: True
2. Business processes refer to the streamlining of standard operating procedures in order to eliminate bottlenecks. Correct Answer: False
3. There is a growing interdependence between a firm's ability to use information technology and its ability to implement corporate strategies and achieve corporate goals. Correct Answer: True
4. The more intimacy a business can create with its suppliers, the more it can lower costs. Correct Answer: True
5. Federal and state regulations can force a business to improve its information systems. Correct Answer: True
6. Information is defined as data that has been shaped into a form that is meaningful and useful to human beings. Correct Answer: True
7. Information system input only captures data from inside the business but not from its external environment. Correct Answer: False
8. Members of the organization evaluate and correct inputs through feedback. Correct Answer: True
9. Computer literacy focuses on both people and technology.
Correct Answer: False
10. Knowledge workers are engineers or architects who design products or services. Correct Answer: True
11. Each organization has a unique culture.
Correct Answer: True
12. The Internet has created a universal technology platform that allows businesses to create new services. Correct Answer: True
13. Intranets and extranets use the same technology platforms as the Internet. Correct Answer: True
14. Complementary assets are those assets required to derive value from a secondary investment. Correct Answer: False
15. It can be said that "all information systems are forms of behavioral systems". Correct Answer: False
1. Provide an overview of the six business objectives of information systems. 2. Information systems...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document