Legal – Privacy Page
Effective Date: May 25, 2018
Welcome to StudyMode! When you register
- The information that StudyMode and its affiliates collect about you.
- How that information may be used.
- With whom StudyMode may share
- How StudyMode protects your
A. Information Collected by Us
1. Personal Information
StudyMode and its affiliates (“we” or “us”) provide its family of Internet sites, services and applications
to you (our “Services”). Registration with us is optional, but please keep in mind that you may not be able to use
many of the services on our Services unless you register with us. Depending on how you interact with our Services,
you provide us with information, which may include:
- Your name, email address, age (to comply with legal requirements), user name, password, postal code, gender and other registration information;
- Information about your preferences;
- Your interaction with our Services, features, and advertisements;
- Transaction-related information, such as, your orders for any services, downloads or other features, or purchases, if any, that you make from us;
- Information you provide us when you contact us for help; and
- Other information specifically related to your use of particular offerings on our Services.
2. Technical and Device Information
We may receive or collect from you certain technical information when you use the Services. This information may include:
- Your browser or operating system;
- Your manner of connecting to the Internet (including the type of device you are using) and the name of your Internet service provider or wireless carrier;
- Your Internet protocol (IP) address;
- Data relating to malfunctions or problems that occur when you use the Service;
- Log file information, including your Web request, Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, browser type, referring/exit pages and URLs, number of clicks and how you interact with links on our service, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed, and other such information.
B. Use of Information
1. Our Use of Your Information
We may use your information:
- To deliver our services and features desired by you (including any customization features requested by you);
- To improve our services to you;
- To personalize content and offers and serve you advertising that may be of interest to you;
- To respond to your inquiries;
- To fulfill your request for products or services;
- To use your login user ID and password to register you on your behalf and to give you access to our affiliate websites and services as part of a “single sign-on” feature;
- To provide you with updates and other information regarding the Services.
- To keep our Website safe and secure and to prevent detect fraud and abuse;
- To comply with our legal obligations, policies, and procedures;
- To administer our Website including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes; and
- To improve our Website to ensure that consent is presented in the most effective manner for you and your computer, Device or other item of hardware through which you access the Website.
2. Other Information
We may use information, like your IP address, to analyze statistically site usage and to
customize our site’s content, layout and services. This information will allow us to improve our services and better i
understand and serve our users.
- We may share your information with the company that employed you, engaged you, or authorized you to access and use the Services.
- We may use statistical information on an aggregate basis to measure performance of our Services; we may share this information with third parties in a way that does not identify you personally or the identity of your company as the source of such information.
- We may share your information with our family of companies and affiliates and with trusted business partners that we do business with who may have content and offers of interest to you. We do not share personally identifiable information to any third party for marketing purposes unless expressly authorized by you.
The contents of your online communications, as well as other information about you as a user of the Services, may
be accessed and disclosed in response:
- To governmental requests or legal process (for example, a court order, search warrant or subpoena);
- To other circumstances in which we have a good faith belief that a crime has been or is being committed by a user;
- To an emergency exists that poses a threat to the safety of you or another person;
- When necessary to protect our property;
- In connection with a substantial corporate transaction, such as the sale of our business, a divestiture, merger, consolidation, asset sale or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy; or
- For us to render the service you have requested.
- We may place “cookies” on your Web browser. Cookies are small pieces of information or text files that a website sends to your computer for record-keeping purposes, which information is stored in a file on your computer’s hard drive.
- Cookies make Web-surfing and browsing easier for you by saving your preferences so that we can use the saved information to facilitate and improve your use of the Services.
- You can adjust your Internet browsers to reject cookies; however, please note that you will not be able to access and use all of our features if you delete or refuse to accept cookies.
- See our Cookie Disclosure for more information.
- Many advertisers and ad networks participate in voluntary programs to provide tools to opt-out of such interest-based advertising. You can go to http://www.adroll.com/about/privacy to adjust your advertising preference with our provider AdRoll. Also, please go to the Network Advertising Initiative for more information about advertising preferences by clicking here:http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/#completed.
D. Advertising and Analytics
- We use third party companies to collect information and serve ads when you visit the Services. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address or telephone number) about your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements on the Services about goods and services that may be of interest to you.
We use third party services such as Google Analytics to help us analyze our performance and our delivery of services
and advertising to you. We use Remarketing with Google Analytics, Google Display Network Impression Reporting, the
DoubleClick Campaign Manager and Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting.
- Using the Ads Settings, visitors can opt-out of Google Analytics for Display Advertising and customize Google Display Network ads.
- You can prevent your data from being collected by Google Analytics by using the Google Analytics Opt-out Brower Ad on by going to this URL:https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/
- We use Remarketing with Google Analytics to advertise to you online.
- Third-party vendors, including Google, may show your ads on sites across the Internet.
- We and third-party vendors, including Google, use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookie) and third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick cookie) together to inform, optimize, and serve ads based on someone’s past visits to our website.
- We and third-party vendors, including Google, use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookies) and third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick cookie) together to report how your ad impressions, other uses of ad services, and interactions with these ad impressions and ad services are related to visits to our site.
We may use agents and contractors in order to help operate our Services and to fulfill your request for products and
services. If such agents and contractors have access to personally identifiable information, they are required to
for any purpose other than to carry out the services they are performing for us.
F. Invitation Services
We may offer you the opportunity to use our invitation service and application so that you can tell your friends about
the Services. The service will enable you to import at your direction your contact list from certain email services
that you may be using and to send an email on your behalf, from your email address, inviting your friend to try the
Services. The information you provide will be used solely to facilitate your sending of the invitation and will not
be stored or used by us for any other purpose. If you are a recipient of an invitation and have elected to opt out
from receiving any further invitations from us, we will retain your email address solely for the purposes of honoring
your opt-out from further invitations.
G. Your Choices
You can make choices about how your information may be used by us to provide information and offers to you. You may visit
the “Account” area on the Services and review and revise your marketing preferences, including, opting out of commercial
messages or unsubscribing to newsletters. You may opt out of further commercial messages by clicking on the “opt
out” or “unsubscribe” link provided with each message. These preferences do not apply to communications that are
related to your registration with us, required or important notices related to your use of our Services, or the fulfillment
of a specific transaction.
Children under the age of sixteen (16) are not eligible to use our service and must not submit any personal information
I. Links and Other Sites
- This policy does not apply to the other websites and social media sites you access and use.
- You are subject to the privacy policies of those Web sites.
J. Change of Ownership
In the event that our ownership was to change as a result of a merger or acquisition by another company, your Services
information may be transferred. We will provide you notice prior to any such transfer of your information.
We take steps to help protect your personal information. We require password protection physical, electronic, and procedural
safeguards to protect personal information about you. We limit access to personal information about you to employees
and authorized who need to know that information in order to operate, develop or improve our services. We cannot
as a result of unauthorized acts by third parties that violate applicable law or our policies).
or our service and/or continued provision of personally identifiable information to us will be subject to
M. How to Contact Us
in your account information you may contact us as follows:
1680 Vine Street Suite 1200
Hollywood, CA 90028
changes to our information practices, you will be provided with appropriate online notice. You may be provided other privacy-related
information in connection with your use of offerings from us, as well as for special features and services not described in this
Policy that may be introduced in the future.
O. Jurisdiction Specific Terms
If You Are a Resident of California
If you are a California resident, in addition to the rights set forth above, you have the right to request information from us regarding
the manner in which we share certain categories of your personal information with third parties, for the third parties’ direct marketing
purposes. California law provides that you have the right to submit a request to us at the designated address and receive the
- The categories of information we disclosed to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year;
- The names and addresses of third parties that received such information, and
- If the nature of a third party’s business cannot be reasonably determined from the third party’s name, examples of the products or services marketed.
- The Services currently do not respond to “do not track” mechanisms featured in any Internet browser.
You are entitled to receive a copy of this information in a standardized format and the information will not be specific to you individually. Our
designated email address for such requests is email@example.com.
If you are located in the European Economic Area (EEA):
1. Controller of your Personal Data
2. Legal Bases for Using Personal Data
We process your personal data only if we have a legal basis to do so, including:
1. to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations;
2. for the performance of our contract with you or to take steps at your request before entering into a contract;
3. for our legitimate interests or those of a third party;
4. where you have given consent to our specific use.
The purpose for which we use and process your information and the legal basis on which we carry out each type of processing is further explained below.
|Purposes for which we will process the information||Legal Basis for the processing|
|To deliver services and features desired by you.||It is necessary for us to process your personal data in order to deliver the services
and process transactions according to the applicable contract between us.
|To improve our services to you.||It is in the legitimate interests of the company to process your data for the purpose
of improving services to you. We consider this use to be proportionate and
will not be prejudicial or detrimental to you.
|To personalize content and offers and serve you advertising that may be of interest to you.||We will personalize content and offers to you and serve you advertising based
on your interests and online activities if you have consented to this processing.
|To respond to your inquiries.||It is necessary for us to process your personal data in this manner to respond to your
inquiries according to the applicable contract between us.
|To fulfill your request for products or services.||It is necessary for us to process your personal data to fulfill your request for products or
services according to the applicable contract between us.
|To use your login user ID and password to register you on your behalf and to give you access to
our affiliate websites and services as part of a “single sign-on” feature;
|It is necessary for us to process your personal data to use carry out these
activities according to the applicable contract between us.
|To provide you with updates and other information regarding the Services.||It is necessary for us to process your personal data to provide you with updates and other information
regarding the Services according to the applicable contract between us.
|To share your information with the company that employed you, engaged you, or authorized
you to access and use the Services.
|It is in the legitimate interests of the company that employed you, engaged you,
or authorized you to access and use the Services. We consider this use to
be proportionate and will not be prejudicial or detrimental to you.
|To analyze statistically site usage and to customize our site’s content, layout and services.||It is in our legitimate interests to process your personal data to analyze our site usage and
to customize our site’s content, layout and services. We consider this use to be proportionate
and will not be prejudicial or detrimental to you.
|To enable our family of companies and affiliates and with trusted business partners that|
we do business with who may have content and offers of interest to you.
|It is in our legitimate interests to process your personal data to enable our family of
companies and affiliates who may have content of interest to you. We process your personal
data to enable our family of companies and affiliates and trusted business partners to send
you electronic offers and market to you only if you have consented to these activities.
|To enable our agents and service providers to perform certain activities on our behalf;||It is necessary for us to process your personal data in this manner in order to deliver the
services and process transactions according to the applicable contract between us. It is
also in our legitimate interest to enable our service providers to perform certain activities
on our behalf. We consider this use to be proportionate and will not be prejudicial or detrimental to you.
|To offer you the opportunity to use our invitation service and application so that you can tell your friends about the Services.||We process your data for these activities only if you have given your consent to do so.|
||For all these categories, it is in our legitimate interest to continually monitor and improve our services and your experience of the Website and to ensure network security. We consider this use to be proportionate and will not be prejudicial or detrimental to you.|
We may process your personal data to respond:
|We conduct this processing to comply with our legal obligations and to protect the public interest.|
|To process otherwise for internal administrative and analytics purposes.||It is in our legitimate interest to process your personal data for internal administrative or analytics purposes.
We consider this use to be proportionate and will not be prejudicial or detrimental to you.
3. International Transfers
Some of our processing of your data will involve transferring your data outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”).
Some of our external third party service providers are also based outside of the EEA, and their processing of
your personal data will involve a transfer of data outside the EEA. This includes the United States. Where
personal data is transferred to and stored in a country not determined by the European Commission as providing
adequate levels of protection for personal data, we take steps to provide appropriate safeguards to protect
your personal data, including entering into standard contractual clauses approved by the European Commission,
obliging recipients to protect your personal data.
4. Retention of Personal Data
We will retain your personal data only for as long as necessary for the purposes it was retained, such as to enable
you to use the Website and your products or to provide services to you. In some instances, we may retain data
for longer periods in order to comply with applicable laws (including those regarding document retention), resolve
disputes with any parties, and otherwise as necessary to allow us to conduct our business. All personal data we
5. Data Subject Access Rights
You have the following rights:
- Right of access to your personal data: You have the right to ask us for confirmation on
whether we are processing your personal data, and access to the personal data and related information.
- Right to correction: You have the right to have your personal data corrected, as permitted by law.
- Right to erasure: You have the right to ask us to delete your personal data, as permitted by law.
- Right to withdraw consent: You have the right to withdraw consent that you have provided.
- Right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority: You have the right to lodge a complaint
with a supervisory authority in the member state of your habitual residence.
- Right to restriction of processing: You have the right to request the limiting of our processing under limited circumstances.
- Right to data portability: You have the right to receive the personal data that you have provided to us,
in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, and you have the right to transmit that information
to another controller, including to have it transmitted directly, where technically feasible.
- Right to object: You have the right to object to our processing of your personal data, as permitted by law, under limited circumstances.
In order to exercise any of these rights, please contact us according to the “How to Contact Us” section herein.
Please note that the above rights are not absolute and we may be entitled to refuse requests, wholly or partly,
where exceptions under the applicable law apply.
Last Updated: May 23rd 2018